To operate as a political party in an election, parties must register with the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) for an Australian election and with the relevent state electoral commission for state and local government elections.
Effective: 16th May 2016
There are 81 political parties registered for the 2016 Australian Federal Election.
However 24 of them are state branches (or similar) therefore in effect there are 57 parties (81-24).
This is a small increase over the 2013 election of 54 parties (77-23).
Of the 81; approximately 54 are the same parties that were registered for the 2013 Australian Federal Election.
The difference of 27 is made up of new registrations plus approximately 7 name changes.
About 11 of the 2016 parties have been de-registered.
* #Sustainable Australia
* 21st Century Australia
* Animal Justice Party
* Australia First Party (NSW) Incorporated
* Australian Antipaedophile Party
* Australian Christians
* Australian Country Party
* Australian Cyclists Party
* Australian Defence Veterans Party
* Australian Equality Party (Marriage)
* Australian Greens (including four additional branches listed below)
*** The Greens NSW
*** The Australian Greens – Victoria
*** Queensland Greens
*** The Greens (WA) Inc
* Australian Labor Party (ALP) (including nine additional branches listed below)
*** Australian Labor Party (N.S.W. Branch)
*** Australian Labor Party (Victorian Branch)
*** Australian Labor Party (State of Queensland)
*** Australian Labor Party (Western Australian Branch)
*** Australian Labor Party (South Australian Branch)
*** Australian Labor Party (Tasmanian Branch)
*** Australian Labor Party (ACT Branch)
*** Australian Labor Party (Northern Territory) Branch
*** Country Labor Party
* Australian Liberty Alliance
* Australian Motoring Enthusiast Party
* Australian Progressives
* Australian Recreational Fishers Party
* Australian Sex Party
* Bullet Train For Australia
* Christian Democratic Party (Fred Nile Group)
* Citizens Electoral Council of Australia
* Consumer Rights & No-Tolls
* Country Liberals (Northern Territory)
* Democratic Labour Party (DLP)
* Derryn Hinch’s Justice Party
* Drug Law Reform Australia
* Family First Party
* Glenn Lazarus Team
* Health Australia Party
* Help End Marijuana Prohibition (HEMP) Party
* Jacqui Lambie Network
* John Madigan’s Manufacturing and Farming Party
* Katter’s Australian Party
* Liberal Democratic Party
* Liberal Party of Australia (including seven additional branches listed below)
*** Liberal Party of Australia, NSW Division
*** Liberal Party of Australia (Victorian Division)
*** Liberal National Party of Queensland
*** Liberal Party (W.A. Division) Inc.
*** Liberal Party of Australia (S.A. Division)
*** Liberal Party of Australia – Tasmanian Division
*** Liberal Party of Australia – ACT Division
* Mature Australia Party
* National Party of Australia (including four additional branches listed below)
*** National Party of Australia – N.S.W.
*** National Party of Australia – Victoria
*** National Party of Australia (WA) Inc
*** National Party of Australia (S.A.) Inc.
* Nick Xenophon Team
* Non-Custodial Parents Party (Equal Parenting)
* Online Direct Democracy – (Empowering the People!)
* Outdoor Recreation Party (Stop The Greens)
* Palmer United Party
* Pauline Hanson’s One Nation
* Pirate Party Australia
* Renewable Energy Party
* Rise Up Australia Party
* Science Party
* Secular Party of Australia
* Seniors United Party of Australia
* Shooters, Fishers and Farmers Party
* Smokers Rights Party
* Socialist Alliance
* Socialist Equality Party
* The Arts Party
* The Australian Mental Health Party
* Voluntary Euthanasia Party
* VOTEFLUX.ORG | Upgrade Democracy!
Posted: 9th March 2015
Nineteen political parties are registered for the 2015 New South Wales State Election.
There is only one overtly religious party (Christian in this case).
We will know by Thursday evening, 12th March 2015, how many are standing candidates.
* Animal Justice Party -> AJP
* Australian Cyclists Party
* Australian Democrats (NSW Division) -> Australian Democrats
* Australian Labor Party (NSW Branch) -> Labor
* Australian Motorist Party
* Building Australia Party -> Building Australia
* Christian Democratic Party (Fred Nile Group) -> Christian Democratic Party
* Country Labor Party -> Country Labor
* Liberal Party of Australia New South Wales Division -> Liberal
* National Party of Australia – NSW -> The Nationals
* No Land Tax Campaign -> No Land Tax
* No Parking Meters Party
* Outdoor Recreation Party -> ORP
* Shooters and Fishers Party -> Shooters and Fishers
* Socialist Alliance
* The Fishing Party
* The Greens
* Unity Party
* Voluntary Euthanasia Party (NSW) -> Voluntary Euthanasia Party
* Australian Capital Territory
* New South Wales (register of political parties)
* Northern Territory
* South Australia
* Western Australia