Progressive Atheists have concerns to protect universal human rights, strengthen our democratic secular society and ensure the sustainability of human activities on planet earth.
Our concerns include but are not limited to the following. This list of concerns will evolve and will be reviewed based on new facts and evidence. When considering these matters of concern we seek to apply critical thinking and rational thought; refer to material gained via the scientific method and; use moral reasoning based in empathy and compassion.
If you would like to make a contribution to or comment on this list please send your ideas to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Progressive atheists are concerned about….
- School Chaplaincy (rather qualified professionals provided if necessary)
- Special Religious Instruction / Education (rather comparative religious / worldview education for teenagers who are ready to consider the philosophical questions of belief)
- The teaching of creationism or intelligent design in science classes
- Prayer to commence government and council proceedings
- Prayer and chaplains in the police and army
- Ensuring that there are adequate secular social service providers (such as aged care, health care and safety net service providers) to cater for the worldview diversity of service recipients
Universal Human Rights
- Legislation criminalising apostasy and blasphemy (globally)
- Female genital mutilation
- Child marriage
- Honour violence
- Religious exemptions to mandatory reporting of child abuse
- Domestic violence
- For Indigenous Australians
- Justice for survivors of child abuse at the hands of institutions who failed in their role as protectors
- Religious exemptions to anti-discrimination laws
- Tax exemptions for religious groups
- Marriage equality for same sex couples
- Adoption equality for same sex couples
- The harms of religiously based conversion therapy
- Homophobia / transphobia
- Legislation and laws that discrimination against LGBTI (globally)
- Equality in the age of consent
Divisive and harmful ideologies / fears / views:
- Homophobia / transphobia
- Misogyny / misandry
- Bigotry – where a person obstinately, irrationally, unfairly or intolerantly dislikes other people or ideas such as personal beliefs, race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, or other group characteristics.
- Allow a terminally or incurably ill person the right to choose the manner and timing of their death, under strict safeguards, by providing humane medical assistance.
- New Immunisation laws in Australia protect freedom of religion but not freedom of conscience, thus further perpetuating inequality and the privileged place of religion in our society.
Religious ideology that promotes:
- Repealing of abortion laws on religious grounds
- Terrorism justified using religious texts
- The subjugation of women and children
Religious texts that require violence and punishment of:
- Women and children via domestic violence
- Apostates and blasphemers
Environmental and animal welfare concerns:
- Climate change
- Industrialised production of products effecting animals welfare
- Religious slaughter of animals